See Clearly; Develop Talent

“The definition of managers in my mind is someone who says, ‘I have a hand. I'm going to optimize the hand that I've been given.’

"Leaders actively change the hand to drive the business. Leaders make change where they see it is needed and actively develop the talent they have on their teams. I think the ultimate mark of leadership is to say, ‘Here's where I'm going to go,’ and to go put a plan together to get there and get it done.

"I think people want that leadership, they want to be developed, they want to know what to do. They want to have clear objectives; they want to understand what they did right, what they did wrong and what they can do.”

(Mark Hurd, CEO of Hewlett-Packard, in “Q&A with Mark Hurd,” Baylor Business Review: Fall 2006. Vol. 25, Iss. 1; pg. 26)

No comments: