Seeing One's Self

“I don't look at myself as a leader in the sense that you mean it… my own capability and availability are limited. We have a large team of managers at Toyota, including the eight executive vice presidents, who enjoy the freedom to practice the Toyota Way in their areas of responsibility. I trust our managers to do that, but whenever there are problems, I want them to come to me with the bad news first. Other than that, my colleagues call on me to talk, to sound me out. We have hours of debate and discussion, and just as my colleagues air their opinions, I make my own views known. That's my management style. That kind of leadership is important today.”

(Katsuaki Watanabe, President of Toyota Motor Corporation, in “Lessons From Toyota's Long Drive.” by Thomas A. Stewart, Anand P. Raman. Harvard Business Review: July/August 2007. Vol. 85, Iss. 7,8; pg. 74)

No comments: