The Application of Discoveries

"I left Harvard with no real awareness of the awful inequalities in the world -- the appalling disparities of health and wealth and opportunity that condemn millions of people to lives of poverty, disease and despair… Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries -- but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity. Whether through democracy, strong public education, quality health care or broad economic opportunity -- reducing inequity is the highest human achievement."

(Bill Gates, Chairman of Microsoft Corporation and Co-Chairman of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, in “The Speechmaker: How Bill Gates Got Ready for Harvard; Warren Buffett Offered Tips on Delivery and Tone; A Dropout Gets a Degree,” by Robert A. Guth. Wall Street Journal: Jun 8, 2007. pg. A.1)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It takes one to know one. Nice thought but Mr. Gates is categorically incapable of understanding inequity. Heck, I'm a lot closer to it than he is but I don't really feel qualified to speak about inequity in our society. I've been a little poor but I can't honestly say that I went even 48 hours without something to eat. I may have had to pay some high medical bills but I have never had to go without medical treatment. Its admirable that Mr. Gates is smart enough to realize that inequities exist but he's not really qualified to speak on the matter.